10.27.2009

Baci n. 07

So, I'm sure anyone who knows me, knows that I'm hopelessly in love with the idea of being hopelessly in love. When I write, especially when I write of love, I work under one of two presumptions. First; am I writing how I feel, personally? or Second; am I writing for someone else? Depending on which of these takes hold, what I write may take a different point of view, and it need not always express my point of view specifically...

Which leads us to this piece. "Baci n. 07" was written for, as I mentioned elsewhere, all the beautiful Christian ladies in my life. It might surprise some of my friends to know that I, in fact, have many. It might surprise both groups in question with just how highly I regard them. That being said, "Baci n. 07" was written because it was a sentiment I thought they would find beautiful. It literally was written for them. I find it beautiful, too, but understanding my perspective is an article for a far different discussion, and most of the beautiful Christian ladies in question have been party (self-inflicted torture on their part, I assure you) to that discussion. I hope Christians in general will like, and even the general populace, but I'd be happy if it is only the aforementioned ladies who enjoy it.

Conversly, I'll be very sad if no one does.

Anyway... I've known for a long time what the premise to this one would be, but I never could figure out how to bring it to life. I'm glad I was finally able to.

Baci n. 07
"Til I loved, I did not live enough."

E. Dickinson


I always thought I was living my life,

That I, by carpe diem, was defined,

That I sucked all the marrow from life's bones.

Believed I was living the envious dream,

Free from all constraint and every care;

Unquestioned hero of a life well lived.


I saw around the world how others lived

As I followed the path of a rover's life,

Loving with a ne'er-do-well's thoughtless care.

I believed I was by freedom defined

And never imagined another dream

Would leave my own empty but for the bones.


See; she changed me, to the core of my bones;

Changed how I saw the life that I had lived;

Replaced it with a more infinite dream.

She lived a very diff'rent kind of life,

Driven by a diff'rent and greater care,

Step for step the same, but by God defined.


I'd never questioned how I was defined

Until I saw my life as skin and bones;

A soulless traveler of selfish care.

I told you that I thought that I had lived

Not realizing it was an empty life

Because I did not believe in God's dream.


This woman awakened me from my dream

And shared with me how her life was defined;

How Jesus Christ had given her, her life.

How I loved her, this stupid sack of bones,

How love made me question how I lived

And how much I had never thought to care.


She changed all of that, and now I do care.

Through love I found my faith; through love a dream,

And see that I have never my life lived.

The road by her love and God's will defined

Has given spirit'al flesh to these bones

And given me a higher call to life.


I lived a sad life with never a care

Beyond these old bones. Now she's changed my dream

And God's re-defined how my life is lived

1 comment:

  1. :X i like it, and i can see the deep romantics of it in the terms of a Christian woman
    thats a lot of change, ah! the power of love...

    ReplyDelete