8.12.2013

Airport Sparrows Act 2 scene iii

This is one of those scenes that I had a lot comments from after the reading.  Namely, why the town was so bad, and what exactly Betty did, were left unclear in the original version.  Or, I suppose it's more correct to say that the last draft was less specific.  In any case, here is the updated, more refined version.  Enjoy.

Act 2 scene iii 
a street

enter MARC and BETTY

Marc- I don’t know what to do anymore, mom.
It seems that ev’ry step I make is wrong –
Not that life in LA was much better,
But here every skeleton comes out
And harries what hope I had into rout.
 

Betty- I know you didn’t want to come home, Marc, 
And I have always respected your wish.
You must know it gladdens me that you're here –
Not that I'll keep you much longer, I fear.
 

Marc- Don’t expect me to find consolation
In the fact that you’ll soon be dead and gone.
However long you chose to linger ‘round
Will I, in this miserable town, be found. 

Betty- I know that there is much wrong in this place,
But I've always known I'd never leave it.
Even those who you would call enemy
Look after me as I once tended them.
When I am dead, you need never return,
But for now, for me, pray a blind eye turn. 

Marc- I have never understood your reasons 
For staying and putting up with all the 
Drugs and violence that carries this town.

Betty- If I left, I would have let myself down. 
All I need do is look at kids like you
To know I've been doing the right thing here.
There have always been more who needed me,
And if I left, who else would e'er help them?
No Marc, I love too much to ever leave. 

Marc- E'en after all the shit my brother's pulled? 
 
Betty- You'd think that such attention would've culled 
Any love I have for the foolish boy,
But I am trying to save him too, Marc. 

Marc- The bastard deserves to be in the dark. 

Betty- Perhaps so, Marc, but he is still my son, 
And I will not abandon him whilst breathe.
But I don't think that's really your issue;
Tell me Marc, what is it that troubles you? 

Marc- It would be so much easier for me 
If he was my only problem in town;
That really isn't the case though, sadly.
It's Laura, mom. She won't leave me alone;
I’m afraid of even turning around,
For fear that she's gonna be there again;
Lamblasting me with blaim and guilt
Because I had the nerve to disappear...
Why in the hell is she still fucking here? 

Betty- I don’t know the answer to that, Marc,
But suspect it’s a complicated thing.
She’s still mid-winter; you’re well into spring. 

Marc- I'll never forgive my brother for it... 

Betty- My boy, it could have been any dealer, 
And perhaps it was better through your brother;
He's done his best to watch over Laura... 

Marc- How? By getting her hooked on coke and meth? 
That is not help; it's a sentence of death. 

Betty- Would you prefer she shot up all the time?
He's managed to keep her out of the dark,
But she is the one who chose the road, Marc. 

Marc- Yeah, he's such a humanitarian... 

Betty- This isn't the time to bicker, Marcus; 
There must be something better to discuss
Than the full failure of your family. 

Marc- That, in no small measure, is why I left,
And I have no desire to bridge the cleft:
I'll ne'er be a part of what he's become. 

enter LAURA unseen 

I'm not saying I'm better 'cause I moved,
But I know for certain I did not fall. 

Betty- I know, and I know it was the right call.
I have been in this stupid town too long,
But hoped one of you’d find a better place
To make a better name of my disgrace. 

Laura- You dismiss all the good you've done, Betty.
No one, friend nor rival, wishes you dead,
For we all know this is not hell whilst here. 

Betty- But I cannot live forever, my dear,
And if the peace only exists for me,
Than it is not respect, but politics,
And that would be e'en more unfortunate.
I always wished you had left this place, Laura. 

Laura- I had no strength, nor wore I enough fear;
Never had such strength as when Marc was near. 

Betty-  If truth be told, Laura, neither have I:
You must promise me to leave when I die. 

Laura- You do not know what you’re asking of me:
Know I owe too much to ever be free. 

Betty- You know you'll only end up owing more
If you hold yourself to that lame-ass lie.
Promise me Laura; you'll leave when I die. 

Laura- I swear to you Betty, that I’ll not stay.
After you’re buried, I will find a way. 

Betty- Good. And now that that foolishness is done,
I will leave you two to settle the air –
And I’ll not die soon, just to keep it fair. 

exit BETTY 

Laura- You know, I’ve avoided her all these years.
I knew she was deeply disappointed
When I did not follow your example
And find some far away place to call home.
But I didn't; I couldn't; I was trapped...
Then, when Lyndon went away to Dover,
I lost all sense of honest direction:
I turned to the only person I knew.
It did not take me long to find the bottom
In my quest to forget all about you.
Oh I've built up quite a debt forgetting
Through any means he had available.
Lyndon came back, but it was too late;
Eventually he stopped lending cash;
He knew that I just used him to get high.
Hell, there's not a whole lot I didn't try...

Marc- I don't know what you're expecting from me;
We both chose our paths and made our mistakes
But our relationship died long ago,
And there's nothing you can do to change that.
I wish we could have remained friends, Laura,
That is something I have never denied,
But this path is one I cannot abide. 

Laura- Every time I come down, I see the hole
You left me in when you ran to LA;
I lied to your mom, Marc. This place is hell. 

Marc- And did you lie when you said you would go,
Or was that just another line of blow? 

Laura- I’m not here to fight with you Marc, not now.
Tis the first time we’ve talked while I’m sober –
Which is not to say I’m at all clean…
I'm just begging you, Marc; please don’t be mean. 

Marc- You cost me the only good thing in year
And now you’re asking me not to be mean
As though I stand here immune to your spite?
Give me a break Laura, that’s just not right. 

Laura- Oh, cause you were so righteous to leave me...
No; stop it, I refuse to take the bait;
I don’t want to stand here fighting with you.
If you cannot be civil, then adieu. 

Marc- You’ve attacked me ev’ry time our paths have crossed,
And now you expect me to ignore it
Just because you’re sober this time around?
I never, ever stopped loving you, Laura,
But you seem to think I just flipped some switch
And magically stopped caring for you?
Well, fuck you; I did what I had to do. 

Laura- You left me to burn in this hellhole, Marc, 
And yet you say you ne'er stopped loving me;
I don't know what I'm supposed to believe.
What's your heart been telling you since you moved…
Tell me Marc, just what is it you have proved? 

Marc- I was never out to prove anything...
I’m sorry I’m not who you remember,
But look around, Laura, look at yourself,
See without blinders just what you’ve become.
This isn't the girl I left behind here... 

Laura- No shit, Marcus, that girl has long been dead,
The weight of which falls squarely on your head, 

Marc- I'm not responsible for your choices;
You would rather face a known destruction
Than risk anything to leave this damn place...
You never would have left if I had stayed,
And I ne'er had the strength to carry you...
I did the only thing that I could do. 

Laura- You didn’t love me enough to drown here,
And you never believed that I could swim…
Jesus Christ, Marc, I never had a chance... 

Marc- You had all of the same chances I did,
And I don't know who you're trying to kid,
Because it's you who decided to stay.
You knew I ne'er wanted to come back here,
And yet you still harp on me for leaving...
Wishes change nothing, Laura, but action....
It is not too late to leave all this behind. 

Laura- And where the fuck am I supposed to go?
This town is the only place that I know. 

Marc- You can go anywhere you want Laura;
If naught else, stick your thumb out by the road
And take the first ride going anywhere;
Just do something to get away from here...
Hell, come to LA, and stay free and clear. 

Laura- So, six years and how many drugs later
Is what it takes for you to call to me?
Fuck you Marc, and may the devil take thee! 

exit LAURA 

Marc- I’m just offering a fresh place to start...
Son of a bitch! I hate this fucking town! 

exit MARC

No comments:

Post a Comment