6.10.2013

Airport Sparrows Act 1 scene i

So I decided it's time I started putting my plays up here to try and make them more accessible to people.  But, I'm not going to post the whole thing all at once, cause that would be too easy, but I will put them up scene by scene.  I'm going to start with "Airport Sparrows."  As some of you know and participated in the reading last year, this play is mostly set in a rural town a commuter flight away from LA, Marc is returning to a home he never wanted to return to and finds love along the way.  This version is the slightly reworked version based on the critical reviews I received after the reading, so those of you who were there can look forward to seeing those edits.



Airport Sparrows
Dramatis Personæ
Sarah- a flight attendant
Michelle- likewise, a flight attendant
Marc (aka Marcus)
Lyndon- Marc’s best friend, owns the Blue Canary
Laura- Marc’s ex, Lyndon’s sister
Paul- likewise, a flight attendant
Jason- bartender at the Blue Canary
Michael
Betty- Marc’s mother

also passengers, bar patrons, a pilot(over intercom)

scene 

an airport, an airplane, a street, a bar, a hotel room


Act 1 scene i 

an airport

enter SARAH on the phone, and MICHELLE carrying to-go coffees


Sarah- Goddamn it Michael, how oft must I say,
That which was, is no longer, nor will be.
Why can't you comprehend that it’s over;
That what you see as dreamtime’s fantasy
Is instead a nightmare I chose to end?
Don't call me again lest you tilt my palm
And send this matter into the law’s hands.[hangs up]
Cannot believe it Michelle; fucking men.
Whyfore, with standards so high as mine are
Did I fall for such a low minded ass?
How is it that he cannot see it's done
And instead subjects me to harassment
Of such vile and unending quality?
What did I do that fate does such to me?

Michelle- What answers you seek are not known to me.
Maybe judgment was clouded by passion-
Or perhaps twas bedtime’s company
That drew you on in spite of your ideal?
I think your own thoughts on propriety
Dragged you in further than his bed alone
And that regret is a self-cast stone.

Sarah- It's been six months since I ended that tryst,
And six months still since I have shared a bed.
Clearly nighttime’s comfort's not worth much,
If I'd rather remain single right now.

Michelle- Please, a little truth in your speech endow;
Dear Michael undermined your faith in love
In full accord with your prior record;
He may be a dick, but you're a fool too.
Sarah, you really must learn the lesson
That you never let them into your heart.

Sarah- Sex becomes meaningless without that part.
We both know I’m not cavalier like you,
Nor have I any desire to, Michelle.
The fact is, it simply boggles my mind
How you’ve a boy no matter where we land.

Michelle- I’d rather sleep next to some naked boy
Than crash at the hotel with not e'en a toy.
I mean, granted, it’s not always that great,
But I would rather release that tension
Than chain myself to them in frustration.
‘Sides, I assume that they sleep around too;
Mean, it’s only sex, what’s the big to-do?
  
Sarah- There’s a difference ‘tween love and fucking,
And I’ll not compromise so easily...
I measure my travels in miles, Michelle,
Not in the number of beds I’ve slumbered.
Mark my words, your playful days are numbered.

Michelle- All the more reason to get them in now.
Besides, it's not like they mind one night stands
Most men I know rather relish the chance....
What Sarah?  Really shouldn't judge me so;

enter MARC

Would do you well to a good fucking know.

MARC trips, stumbling into SARAH and MICHELLE, spilling coffee

Marc- Oh, fuck me; Christ, ladies; I'm so sorry...

Michelle- Good God man, can’t you watch where you’re going?
How can we fly with coffee stains showing?

Sarah- Calm down Michelle, it’s a quick change from here,
I packed some extra uni’s in my gear.

Marc- Can I buy either of you a coffee...
I mean, there is a cart right over there...
It’s the least I can do for footwork’s error.


Michelle- Forget about it sir, we’ve not the time
To do the “getting coffee” pantomime.

Sarah- Don’t worry sir, everything is all right,
Just be more careful... and have a great flight.

exit SARAH and MICHELLE

Marc- Could I be any greater of a fool?
As if coffee could make proper amends 
When it was the self same article spilt.
All these years in LA and still no grace...
I’m still the same rural lout that moved here...
Christ, what's the time? Shit; quarter to eight,
Dammit Marc, you're gonna be fucking late.

exit MARC

No comments:

Post a Comment