6.24.2013

Airport Sparrows Act 1 scene iii


Act 1 scene iii 
an airport 

enter MARC 

Marc- What madness is this that I should dawdle
And wait upon vanity’s wayward hope? 
What delusion gives that passing humour
Might find greater joy in my company
When I am, to all other eyes, a fool?
It's as if good sense has given away
My expectation of the bold demise
Usually found when I’d endeavour so.
Now, instead, it baits me onward to act
As though through some measure might gain vict’ry.
Yet what call can be made to the restless
Except to bear patience against fell fear
And wage bold wars upon his temitry.
I’m hopeless; as if some holy blessing
Could tempt the wry smile of dubious fate
And grant that which has ever eluded…
My spirit stands here clouded by my doubts.
Yet my hope, like the rising sun due east,
Looks for the truth to dispel this thick fog;
That the heart might find love, and with it shine…
An hour long flight, and she’s stolen mine.

enter SARAH

Sarah- Marc; I'm glad you did the moment abide.
There was more still to be done than I thought
And I worried you might have a ride caught 

Marc- It does seem my friend has yet to arrive, 
But even if he managed to be on time
I still would have waited with baited hope. 
To see if there was any truth in speech.

Sarah- And what honest conclusion did you reach? 

Marc- That contrary to trained expectation, 
You meant your accepted invitation. 

Sarah- And I am grateful you waited for me.

Marc- Well, I have no intention to deprive 
Myself when such company does arrive. 

Sarah- I must confess I’d rather you alone
Than battle over such split attention 
As must happen when your friend fin'lly shows. 

Marc- It's kind of you to such worry disclose; 
Perhaps I can bid him stay his distance 
While we're engaged in negotiation. 
It seems rather certain that I will lose,
If I must between old and new friends chose. 

Sarah- Well, perhaps if I can turn him ally
There'd be no reason to such measures try. 

Marc- Now I know I should delay his coming
Lest he would supersede that which I’d claim 
And replace mine with his own rival name. 

Sarah- Trust his standard has no home in my field; 
Though his aid would your certain capture yield. 

Marc- I would see such conquest upon me well played
But you'll need him not if a truce be made. 

Sarah- Only vigorous negotiations
Would interest me striking a deal
When I already know I've won the war.
You could offer me your fealty, though;
As I have just the position for you. 

enter Lyndon 

Lyndon- Marc! You old dog!  I’m sorry I’m so late.
The car wouldn’t start; ‘course does me predate. 

Marc- Lyndon, your timing is impeccable,
Finding the best moment, as always do, 
To intrude on moments of sentiment.
Allow me to introduce new found Sarah
Who attended me on the flight over.
This, Lyndon, recent back from Dover. 

Lyndon- Pay you no heed to the words of my friend,
Yet speak, and I’ll to your ev’ry need attend. 

Sarah- So subservient! No friend then… your slave?
[to MARC] You show much kindness for this lowly knave. 

Lyndon- Knave! Miss, I know not what stories he’s told,
But I’m not so foolish, nor he so bold. 

Sarah- Granted, his boldness I’ve yet to measure,
But it is appear ‘pon my list of goals.
That being said, I would ask you forgive
Me my most unnecessary volley.
We we're waging a witting kind of war
To which you became victim at the door. 

Lyndon- I didn't realize he even had wit... 

Sarah- Hush, I'm trying to give him some credit... 

Lyndon- Yes, he’s never been one much for humour,
Laying siege to jokes he's not understood 
Ruining the fun ev'ryone else... 
I do your apology forthwith accept – 
But warn that such another incursion 
And you shall find yourself of treaties bereft. 

Marc- Alas, there is now little recourse left
But to impose strict sanctions upon you, 
And undermine the power of your threat. 

Lyndon- An unwise course if you'd further enjoy
The food and drink that comes of my employ. 

Marc- Alas, there's some truth behind his words; 
Like a wine lover who'd embargo France 
Would do little good to palette and goals, 
To blockade his meek and meager province.
Nay, instead, as ever's been done before,
Can turn his bus’ness to our battlefield
And drink down all that he would further yield. 

Lyndon- You’d wage war in France to gather it’s wine?
And here I thought you were a friend of mine. 

Sarah- It seems to me there's something I don't know, 
As regards this place you would have us go. 

Marc- Lyndon, here, possesses himself a bar,
A fair joint he’s called the Blue Canary… 
I thought we might thither together go. 

Sarah- I must first to my hotel ere go.
How might I to this grand bar of yours know? 

Lyndon- We could give you a lift to your hotel
And show you the beast whilst we’re underway. 
That’s the easiest thing; what do you say? 

Marc- Yeah, allow us to aid you to your goal
And we’ll claim but conversation for toll. 

Sarah- Well, that would save me both cab and fare…
Alright boys, you have the means, show me where. 

exit all
 

No comments:

Post a Comment