7.01.2013

Airport Sparrows Act 1 scene iv


Act 1 scene iv 
the Blue Canary

lights up. JASON and LAURA are doing lines off the bar 

Jason- Jesus Christ woman! where'd you get this shit.
Come on, tell me, You know that I'm no rat.

enter LYNDON

Laura- Never mind about my sources Jason,
Just call me when you want a little fun.

Lyndon- Laura, what the fuck are you doing here? 
You know you're not welcome within my bar. 

Laura- Come off it Lyndon, don’t be such a jerk, 
Can’t a sister come see her brother work? 

Lyndon- No she can't. Not when she still snorting coke.
Jason; this is your only warning, see?
If your gonna do something dumb, least think
And wipe your nose ere you’d serve another drink. 

Jason- Sorry boss, it’ll ne’er happen again. 
Don’t know what I thought, she just came in... 

Lyndon- Go home; don’t argue when I’m forgiving,
But know, if this happens again, you’re through.

exit JASON

So what is it this time Laura, need dough?
You know I will not fund your need for blow.


Laura- I didn’t come here looking for money, 
I came here looking for you, dear brother.
You just assume I came for the other. 

Lyndon- Cut the crap Laura, I won't help again,
When every other time's been a lie. 
Get out of here Laura, I’m done with you – 
No, I’ll brook no argument to your lie.
Get clean, and I'll have no need to deny.

Laura- Fuck you Lyndon, I don't fucking need you.
I'm doing just fine on my own, you know. 

Lyndon- Oh really? It sure as hell doesn't show
  
[LAURA starts to leave

Oh hey, dearest sister, one other thing, 
I should warn you, Marcus is back in town 

exit LAURA as SARAH enters. LAURA gives gives SARAH a look of evil.

Sarah- Jesus, what the hell was that all about? 

Lyndon- She's pissed because I keep kicking her out; 
For some reason that causes an issue. 
I promise, it had nothing to do with you. 

Sarah- I was worried for a second there,
She had nothing but hate behind her eyes. 

Lyndon- If there is one thing I truly despise,
It's having to deal with the likes of her. 
I'm embarassed you had to go through that;
It's not the impression I hoped to make. 

Sarah- Don't worry, it doesn't constitute a break 
In the terms of our recently made treaty.
It's just not what I expected to see. 

Lyndon- You got here sooner than I expected... 
I only just got here a minute ago,
And I haven't had time to check the bar... 
Rest assured that it's something only time 
Will e’er find the means and manner to cure.
There are happier things ‘pon which to think 
So, turn your thoughts to the light, and have a drink, 

Sarah- Now, where-ever did our friend Marcus go? 
I thought he would an eager welcome show. 

Lyndon- That is the very thing he did intend,
But there was something he had to do first. 
Believe me; he will be here soon enough. 

Sarah- Well, you certainly know better than I. 
Is there aught I should know about the guy? 

Lyndon- Beyond that he's a pretty decent dude, 
There's nothing I could say he won't himself. 
It's been a long time since he's been back here,
And I'm really glad to see him again. 

Sarah- Then tell me how you guys know each other. 

Lyndon- Marcus is practically my brother;
I mean I cannot remember a time 
When weren't out causing some kind of trouble...
His mom still lives right around the corner. 
It wasn't until after high school he left 
Which is how you found him there in L.A. 

Sarah- And you went off to England and Dover. 
He said you recently came back over… 

Lyndon- Marc’s view on recent is slightly skewed. 
I was there a couple of years ago, 
Back before I took o'er the Canary.
Since then I haven't had quite as much time, 
To do any of the things I'd like to. 

Sarah- That's one of the reasons I do what I do,
I get great deals going wheree'er I want.

enter MARC 

Lyndon- Sometimes I wish it was easy as that... 
Marc! We’re just talking about you, old cat. 

Marc- Then I'm certain there was nothing good said... 
Did you scare ev’ryone? This place is dead. 

Lyndon- I just announced that you were coming by
And for some reason they all up an left. 

Marc- More likely, they saw you step 'hind the bar,
And realized there cash wouldn't float as far. 

Lyndon- Hey now, man, I resemble that remark… 
So… is there anything I can pour you… 

enter a large group of PATRONS

Damn it, I knew I should’ve locked the door.

Sarah- Oh come come now, look not so dour 
And pour me up a Midori Sour. 

Marc- A pint-of-the-black, if you would my friend 
Ere you'd upon those vagabonds attend. 

Lyndon- I see how it is; you'll abandon me
To the ravenous, wild, paying wolves 
For the prefered company of a girl. 

Marc- If you weren’t such a respectable man 
You’d have stuck to the original plan. 

Lyndon- Which I believe was getting drunk with you… 
[to the PATRONS] Give me a minute fellas; be right there. 

Marc- There'll be plenty of time later, I swear. 

Sarah- It’s so great that your sidekick owns a bar... 

Lyndon- How in the hell am I still your wingman? 
[to the PATRONS] Yeah, I heard you, a Black-and-fucking-Tan… 

[LYNDON goes to tend the drinkers] 

Sarah- Oh dear, I didn't mean to offend your friend. 

Marc- Oh, don’t take Lyndon too seriously, 
He's merely feigning some injury 
In the hopes of gaining your sympathy. 

Sarah- Well, it's not exactly a bald-faced lie; 
It's clear to me he really has missed you. 

Marc- He is one of my oldest friends, that's true,
But he will still be here on the morrow,
Whereas you'll head off into the wild blue. 

Sarah- Please note we land here at least twice a week: 
I will find you again if I so seek. 

Marc- And what, pray tell, would it actually take 
To get you to such a decision make? 

Sarah- Oh, I could never tell you such a thing. 
It’s up to you to meet expectations
Without any kind of compass or insight
To aid you in attaining such an end.
It may seem an arbitrary judgment,
Yet find solace that you e’en get to play…
And who knows – it could be your lucky day. 

Marc- If Lady Luck chose to extend her hand, 
It would prove a great change in sentiment,
But putting her willful favour aside,
I accept the bait and baited challenge
Which is so artfully placed before me.
And who knows, maybe we'll both be surprised. 

Sarah- I hope this neither forward nor uncouth, 
But what do you say 'bout getting a booth? 

Marc- It may rankle the soft nerves of my friend, 
But I have no objections to that end. 

Sarah- Well, if he plays the fake the way you say, 
He’ll not mind if I take you out of play 

Marc- Nor if you’d take me out to play, I bet. 
Come, and let us your portentous booth get. 

exit MARC and SARAH

blackout

No comments:

Post a Comment