7.22.2013

Airport Sparrows Act 1 scene viii


Act 1 scene viii 
the Blue Canary

enter MARC and LYNDON 

Marc- So that, my friend, is how began the day
And the night, I fear, can go either way. 

Lyndon- Vindication’s found in her arrival, 
So you’ve nothing to fear if she here shows.
More though, I’m sorry Laura found you so
And brought her long tempered hatred to bear.
She has stewed herself in such bitter bile
That I’m not surprised the silence’s broken:
Least now that vitriol has been spoken. 

Marc- And I know I’m not without guilt in this. 
Was right about my untoward silence
And that I did a grave mis-justice do.
It would not have survived the distance, though:
She always needed so much real contac
That long distance ne'er would have gotten far…
It's hard to comprehend how deep that scar. 

Lyndon- My sister chose her own path Marc, not you. 
Nor are you are without fault, as well have said,
But... in the end, it was her will alone
That carried her so deep into darkness.
But you should not take on more than you earned,
For even I who have not left this place 
Still garner only affection's sorrow;
When I see her, she's just looking for dough. 

Marc- Have we neglected as friend and brother 
That she should fly so into the darkness?
Could we have done more, and not so much less? 

Lyndon- I don’t know Marc: descended so fast; 
By the time I had returned from Dover
She had already paved her road to hell.
Could we have otherwise than what we’ve done?
Perhaps, my friend, but at what cost to us?
Would have been us there, and her in our place
Wondering how we’d found such barren roads.
We cannot alter the past, nor Laura
Unless she chooses to do otherwise.
And for that, she does both of us despise. 

Marc- Tell you this Lyndon, miss the old Laura. 
Missed her from the day we departed here.
She was as much a friend as lover,
And though that part of her died long ago,
I suffer more that the former’s gone too.
Feel more guilty, now, after our interview. 

Lyndon- You’ve other things to worry about here 
Than Laura’s trials and self inflicted woes.
I’d that you’d find some respite in my bar
From the past that returns to assail you.
Beg of you, leave your burdens by the door
And let them, for an hour, trouble you no more.

enter LAURA, drunk/high 

Marc- How can I leave them at the door, my friend
When they so easily find the entrance.
Cannot avoid when makes her own presence. 

Lyndon- Goddamn it Laura; go the fuck away. 
Have you not caused enough trouble today? 

Laura- Fuck you Lyndon, I didn't come for you. 
I’ve unsettled business here with him
And I’d rather you stay out of my way. 
Marc-y, Marc-y, Marc. How are you today? 

Marc- Have you not loosed enough venom my way 
That you should ruin what’s left of my day? 

Laura- One small day does not balance the accounts 
Of a lifetime of shadows and sorrows.
You owe me far more than a single day
And I will claim it as would a pound of flesh
Cleaved a moment before by the butcher.
Know well I hold you destiny’s villain
And your demise I will revel much in. 

Lyndon- Have you not destroyed one life enough, sis, 
That now you must range forward to destroy more?
Get out Laura, you know where lies the door. 

Laura- Seek you now to brave my talons brother, 
To defend this worthless sack before you?
Nay Lyndon, you have not the strength for it
And I’ll not waste time on less than this shit. [points to Marc] 

Lyndon- Don’t make me summon forth the legal hand 
To remove you forth from my holding’s land. 

Laura- Oh, I’ve time enough ere they would arrive: 
Would but the appointment change; not deprive. 

Marc- Cannot believe that the world has changed so, 
That you, who long ago stood united,
Should face each other now as mortal foes!
What good is found that you should wage so strong
‘Gainst those who never sought to do you harm?
This world is harsh, but we’ve moved on, Laura,
And perhaps it is best that you should too.
Run as always said, and find somewhere new. 

Laura- And whither do you think that I should go? 
All that I have ever desired is here;
Has returned, just as the sun’s wide orbit
Kisses again e’en the long barren field;
My love casts again; the fallowed seeds grow.
I could not leave now, nor do I wish too! 

enter SARAH

Through all of this shit, Marc, I still love you. 

Marc- Twas not the sun, it was death’s scythe that dropped, 
But damn it Laura, my love never stopped. 

Sarah- And thus Marc, as do emotion confide, 
I discern in words once spoken, have lied. 

Marc- Fuck! Sarah, pray give me leave to explain! 

exit SARAH 

Fuck you!  Must you ev’ry ‘motion defame? 

exit MARC 

Lyndon- Goddamn it!  Must you destroy all you touch!
Your life, beloved sister, is not Pompeii,
Nor is your love of that mummified form
That others shall look upon and learn from.
You’ve spent so much time playing the victim
That you have blinded yourself to all else.
What happened to the girl I grew up with
Who would leap selflessly into the flames
If she thought she could save another’s life?
What happened to my sister who could walk
Like an angel across the razor’s edge
That is life in this shit hole of a town?
You have always blamed Marc for everything,
But all that he has ever done was love you.
Must know that your life since as been your own:
That you can't blame Marc for your decisions
Just because he was not there to stop you.
You cannot blame Marc for Lucifer’s fall:
This is your life, and you who must stand tall! 

Laura- Long have I laboured to release the chain 
That has bound that demon unto my heart.
Should thank me for saving her from such woe
You think I should wallow over such tripe?
I still love him Lyndon; I want him back
And I refuse to cut him any slack. 

Lyndon- You are a fucking two year old screaming 
Because you are being denied a toy! 
Marc will never fall for your stupid ploy. 

Laura- Fuck you Lyndon, I’ll claim again what’s mine! 
Such is fate; such is my goddamn design! 

exit LAURA 

Lyndon- Goddamn that fucking, most confounded bitch!
Seeking still, what can ne’er again attain,
And more than happy reaping further disgrace...
Fuck you Laura, and fuck this fetid place! 

exit LYNDON

No comments:

Post a Comment